Wednesday, March 26, 2014

So why am I going to Russia?

I've been asked this question a lot lately. Besides the obvious answer -- I was accepted into this awesome US State Dept. program that promotes global classrooms by involving teachers in creating an atmosphere for engaging students in investigating global issues, creating empathy for other geographical and cultural regions, learning to communicate their ideas effectively, and creating action plans for putting all these new realizations in to practice --I believe the real question is: What do I hope to gain by immersing myself in the Russian educational culture? In other words, what is the essential question I am hoping to answer during my visit to Russia?

Of course, I am hoping to learn as much as I can about the Russian school system as compared to the Arizona school system. I am hoping to share teaching ideas and best practices with our fellow Russian teachers. But more than all that, I am hoping to learn about the "value" of education as evidenced by Russian students and their families. I specifically will be looking for evidence of student engagement in Russia as it compares to my experience with students her in Sierra Vista.

As a high school teacher in Southeastern Arizona, one of my fundamental frustrations in the classroom is the very distinct lack of engagement by so many American students. It is as if they have no sense of how important a good education is for their continued success. It is as if far too many parents of our students see their child's schooling as merely a babysitting service for them while they are at work. How much does "hope" play into student engagement? Do our unengaged students see no hope for their futures or what an amazing education can do for their futures? Has the Arizona Department of Education put so many bureaucratic constrictions on student success that the govt. itself has drained the educational system of hope?

Maybe this sounds harsh, but in all the debate we hear about "bad schools," "bad administrators," and "bad teachers," we never hear anyone bringing up the role of the students themselves or the parents in improving education. I think it is about time we do.

So there you have it. What is student engagement like in Russia compared to here in Arizona? What is the value of a good education to Russian families compared to many of the Arizona families I have had the privilege to come and know over the years? These are my essential questions I will be researching during my visit to Russian school over the next few weeks. Wish me luck -- and a little hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment